Saowarath Jantaro, Associate Professor, Ph.D.
B.Sc ., Prince of Songkla University (PSU)
M.Sc ., Prince of Songkla University (PSU)
Ph.D ., Chulalongkorn University (CU)
Office: Room 615/3, Science 10 Building
- Adaptation of cyanobacteria and plant to environmental stresses
- Polyamine roles in cyanobacteria to environmental stresses
- Regulation of photosynthetic systems in cyanobacteria
- Biotechnological and Biomedical applications from cyanobacteria
In my group, we have been focused on the function and regulation in cyanobacterial adaptation under environment stresses. In one hand, the polyamine biosynthesis against UV-radiations has been working. Strikingly, we have found the different responses of polyamine contents under various single wavelengths of UV exposures (A, B and C). As the polyamine mechanism and function are still unclear, particular in cyanobacteria. We are trying as well to figure out the correlation between polyamines and photosynthetic systems using genetic and bioinformatics approaches. Our goal so far is to understand polyamine function and regulation on stress response and adaptation and to develop these studies in field of biotechnological and biomedical applications; such as to improve the tolerance on light stresses by genetic manipulation of either commercial or crop plants in the future.
- Apiradee Pothipongsa · Saowarath Jantaro · Tiina A. Salminen · Aran Incharoensakdi. Molecular characterization and homology modeling of spermidine synthase from Synechococcus sp. PCC 7942 . World J Microbiol Biotechnol (2017) 33:72 DOI 10.1007/s11274-017-2242-5
- Pothipongsa, A.; Jantaro, S.; Incharoensakdi, A.. Spermidine Synthase is Required for Growth of Synechococcus sp. PCC 7942 Under Osmotic Stress, Current Microbiology 2016, 73 (5), 639-645. (Article in press 2016)
- Khetkorn, W.; Incharoensakdi, A.; Lindblad, P.; Jantaro, S.. Enhancement of poly-3-hydroxybutyrate production in Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803 by overexpression of its native biosynthetic genes. Bioresource Technology 2016, 214, 761-768.
- Daddy, S., Zhan, J., Jantaro, S., He, C., He, Q., Wang, Q.. A novel high light-inducible carotenoid-binding protein complex in the thylakoid membranes of Synechocystis PCC 6803. Scientific Reports 2015, 5, Article number 9480
- Jantaro, S., Baebprasert, W., Piyamawadee, C., Sodsuay, O., Incharoensakdi, A.. Exogenous Spermidine Alleviates UV-Induced Growth Inhibition of Synechocystis sp PCC 6803 via Reduction of Hydrogen Peroxide and Malonaldehyde Levels. APPLIED BIOCHEMISTRY AND BIOTECHNOLOGY 2014, 173 (5), 1145-1156.
- Pothipongsa, A.; Jantaro, S.; Incharoensakdi, A. Polyamines induced by osmotic stress protect Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803 cells and arginine decarboxylase transcripts against UV-B radiation. Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 2012, 168(6), 1476-1488.
- Baebprasert, W., Jantaro, S., Khetkorn, W., Incharoensakdi, A. and Lindblad, P. 2011. Increased H2 production in the cyanobacterium Synechocystis sp. Strain PCC 6803 by redirecting the electron supply via genetic engineering of the nitrate assimilation pathway. Metabolic Engineering 13: 610-616.
- Jantaro, S., Pothipongsa, A., Khanthasuwan, S. and Incharoensakdi, A. 2011. Short-term UV-B and UV-C radiations preferentially decrease spermidine contents and arginine decarboxylase transcript levels of Synechocystissp. PCC 6803. Current Microbiology 62:420-426.
- Jantaro, S. 2009. Responsive mechanisms of cyanobacteria against intense light stress (Review in Thai). KKU Science Journal 37(2): 121-129.
- Wang, Q., Jantaro, S., Lu, B., Majeed, W., Bailey, M. and He. Q. 2008. The high light-inducible polypeptides (HLIP) stabilize trimeric photosystem I complex under high light conditions in Synechocystis PCC 6803. Plant Physiology 147(3): 1239-1250.
- Jantaro, S., Ali, Q., Lone, A., and He., Q .2006. Suppression of the lethality of high light to a quadruple hli mutant by the inactivation of the regulatory protein PfsR in Synechocystis PCC 6803.Journal of Biological Chemistry 281: 30865-30874.
- Jantaro, S., Kidron, H., Chesnel, D., Salminen, T., Incharoensakdi, A., Mulo, P. and Mäenpää P .2006. Structural modeling and environmental regulation of arginine decarboxylase in Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803. Archives of Microbiology 184: 397-406.
- Jantaro, S., Incharoensakdi, A., Jansén, T., Mulo, P. and Mäenpää, P. 2005. Effects of long-term ionic and osmotic stress conditions on photosynthesis in the cyanobacteriumSynechocystis sp. PCC 6803. Functional Plant Biology 32: 807-815.
- Jantaro, S., Mäenpää, P., Mulo, P. and Incharoensakdi, A. 2003. Content and biosynthesis of polyamines in salt and osmotically-stressed cells of Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803. FEMS Microbiology Letters 228: 129-135.
Incharoensakdi, A., Jantaro, S., Raksajit, W. and Mäenpää, P. 2010. Polyamines in cyanobacteria: biosynthesis, transport and abiotic stress response. A.Méndez-Vilas (Ed.): Current Research, Technology and Education Topics in Applied Microbiology and Microbial Biotechnology. Formatex, Spain.